Research chemicals are synthetic or semi-synthetic compounds that are meant for medical and scientific research purposes. They are used to mimic the effects of prohibited substances. They are purchased online, commonly considered as ‘Not for Human Consumption’ to reduce the common people selling them. Because of their exceptive nature and relative harms they are exempted to encourage the use of these substances which is against the law.
Research chemicals usually come in crystals, white powder, capsules form, or packaged on blotter tabs. There are several methods of administration, including ingesting, injecting, smoking, snorting, and using anally.
Types of Research Chemicals
1. Pharmacological research chemicals are basically used in the development of novel pharmacotherapies. Most widespread medical laboratory uses include for drug development, medical, biochemical research and animal testing. Pharmacological RC’s are also used to determine therapeutic value, toxicology testing by contract with research organizations to verify drug safety, perform analysis by drug test and forensic toxicology labs for the purposes of estimating human exposure. Example of Pharmacological RC’s: Mephedrone, Methoxetamine, and Piperazine Fluosilicate.
2. Agricultural research chemicals: Research agrochemicals are mainly used to select effective use in commercial off-the-shelf end-user products. Generally, research agrochemicals are never publicly marketed. They often use chronological code names. Some of the agricultural RC’s are: Tryptamines, Phenethylamine, and Synthetic opioids.
A few research chemicals are quite popular at the time of writing, including:
- 4-FMP, also called 4-fluor, lies somewhere in between amphetamine and MDMA in terms of effects. It makes you more alert just like amphetamine, but also more empathic, a noteworthy characteristic of MDMA. Because many people enjoy both effects, 4-FMP is quickly gaining popularity.
- 6-APB or 5-APB is a bit like XTC, but lasts longer and has a more potent psychedelic edge.
- LSZ has LSD-like effects, but with a shorter duration. Some people prefer this, as an LSD can be quite intense and long-lasting.
Despite some substances being fairly popular, most research chemicals are used by only a very small amount of people. New compounds can appear suddenly but sometimes disappear just as quickly if interest is lacking. It seems not many people enjoy being a guinea pig.